Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Day After the 2010 Mid-terms

So today is day one for my blog. The Republicans have just retaken the House of Representatives and made gains in the Senate.  Just for the record I am a progressive. In fact if you think of the Democratic Party as the center-left, then look much further left and you’ll find me.  I have no shame about this fact but I have been hiding is the midst of conservatives for most of my life. I grew up in conservative Cincinnati, OH. I have worked in Banking, Insurance and for the Department of Defense. I was married to a republican and have lived in several of the most republican places in Florida and Ohio.  And despite all this, I remain extremely socially and politically liberal.    I could never wrap my head around the extremism of Republicans; the religion, the hate, and overall backwardness of the right.  Today Republicans politicians tend to range from ignorant of the facts to just out right liars and the people that follow them seem to be easily led to act against their interests.   I have had lots of conversations with Republicans over the past few years and they always seem to believe what they are told without facts to back up their arguments and usually end up making a personnel attack on me to make their point.  Average Republicans are not happy with the way the country is going but their beliefs are part of the problem with the country and that’s where the Cognitive dissonance comes in to play. And that's what makes them lash out against liberals and conservatives that disagree with them. One of my wishes is to get people to see where the problems really lie so we can get to the root of the problems and solve them. I love my country but we have problems.  Those problems need to be solved in a forward moving, dare I say progressive way.  We can’t go back to the 1950’s or the 19th century; we need to get on with the 21st century. And we need to do it now! 

Ciao for now, Fobbsie

2 comments:

  1. I agree we need to take some "real" action NOW. My gut reaction is armed revolt, but intellectually I recognize the limitations of that as a longterm solution. I'm interested to hear your suggestions on resolving our problems in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats a lot of books! Did you really post at 0423? Don't let me forget I have a tip for you about this. Share on baby doll!!

    ReplyDelete